About Me

My photo
Wife to Adam, mommy to Alexa & Adlee Grace, Christ follower, owner at NewSpring Church, lover of Clemson football, and all things monogrammed. Looking for ways to simplify, serve, and teach my girls what life is all about.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

Friday, December 19, 2008

Update

This week has really flown by! Well, all except for yesterday because I had to work until nearly 6pm, and on a Friday everyone leaves early! I typically leave early (or don't work at all) on Fridays, but this week I was off on Wednesday instead. So, I worked 10 hours the other days to make up my time. I'm really stingy w/ my PTO (paid time off) for some reason, I can't stand to use it.

Last Saturday I finished up my last exam, and I ended the semester with 4 As. That was certainly a great feeling when I got my final grades on Thursday! As for next semester I will not being going to school. It just doesn't seem to be in God's plans because nothing is working out. If you remember, last semester I changed my major because there wasn't anything for my major that fit my schedule. Well, this semester is the same way...there is nothing at night or online that works at all. As a result I have decided to take the semester off and spend this time focusing on Alexa and myself. I really haven't been expecting a break, but apparently God wanted me to have one...so that's where I stand with that.

We have really been enjoying the Christmas season so far...and we are trying to keep it very simple. Christmas isn't about presents and decorations, it's about Jesus, and that's what our whole year should be about. Don't get me wrong, I like decorations, and I like gift giving...but those things shouldn't be the focus of Christmas. Wednesday was a perfect reminder of this for me.

We (Jodi, Brad, and myself) along with about 65 other volunteers from NewSpring went to an elementary school in Greenville, and the Anderson campus did 3 schools in Anderson County, and we gave almost every child a new pair of shoes and a backpack with school supplies. It was an amazing experience. I can't even begin to describe the joy it brought me. Seeing the faces of those children was such a blessing. It was also heartbreaking to think of the conditions these children face every day. We were told 90% of the school we visited live below the poverty level. Obviously all of the children didn't need new shoes, but most of them did, and they were very appreciative. Most of them couldn't stop smiling and talking about their new shoes.

These are all the shoe boxes wrapped up on the auditorium stage.

Volunteers putting shoes on the children

Allison and one of the little girls looking through her new backpack


It was such a humbling reminder of how blessed we are, and how much we take for granted. I try to be thankful, but I don't think there is any way we can be thankful enough.

Mimi was nice enough to keep A&W for us so we could participate in the giveaway, and when we were finished they met us for lunch and an afternoon of fun! We took the kids to Chuck E Cheese, and they had a blast. W has been before, but this was A's first trip and she seemed to really enjoy it! They played some games, but mostly rode on the different rides. The mommies and mimi also played a few games :) All in all it was a great afternoon, and I am looking forward to taking them back when they get a bit older!

Today we finally got our Christmas cards printed, so they will actually get out before Christmas. LOL! Tomorrow is Christmas at NewSpring, and if you aren't already going to a church service, I would highly recommend coming to ours! It is going to be AMAZING! I am so excited. Our services are at 9:15, 11:15, and 6pm...get there early!!

Well, that's all for now. I hope you all are enjoying Christmas, and I hope you have a great week. God is so good!

No comments: