About Me

My photo
Wife to Adam, mommy to Alexa & Adlee Grace, Christ follower, owner at NewSpring Church, lover of Clemson football, and all things monogrammed. Looking for ways to simplify, serve, and teach my girls what life is all about.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

Monday, August 20, 2012

Time flies!

So much has happened over the past few months, and clearly my intentions of blogging have gone awry. Here is a quick update on what we’ve been doing. Alexa started 5K last week, and is loving every minute of it. She is extremely proud that she knows where her classroom is and can walk in all by herself. I love her sweet independent spirit; most of the time. Adam has been helping my sister & her fam with their business for about 4 months now. If you’re not familiar with our products I would highly recommend checking them out here. He has done a great job being a work-at-home dad and waits patiently in the car line each day to bring Alexa home. I continue working for Community Health as part of their residency program and I really love it. I am so thankful God has blessed me with this job and can’t wait to see what the future hold. We are also watching Resonate Church bloom and blossom during these beginning stages, and can clearly see God’s hand upon the work we are doing there. We will officially launch services in just a few weeks! I can’t believe this time last year we were just making the decision to move, man how time flies!

Another journey we began a few months ago was the quest to live a healthier, happier lifestyle. It seems my entire adult life I have been on a diet of some sort, and at times I have thought it would always be that way. Then it hit me, I didn’t want Alexa to be standing in the middle (ok fine at the end) of her 20’s feeling the same way. I began using Weight Watchers in May and have lost 16 pounds so far, I have to admit it is nice to see lower numbers on the scale, but I don’t always feel lighter. I definitely have a few pounds left to lose, but we are working each day as a family to eat better and slowly but surely we will get there.

homemade fruit pancakes from freshly milled wheat
cinnamon raisin bread
One of the biggest changes we’ve made is cutting out the processed food in our diets. Now, let me say I love a hotdog as much as the next girl (probably more) and I highly doubt I will ever go without them, but in general less processed is crossing our table. We are working on doing more clean eating, you know not eating food with ingredients that you can’t pronounce or spell! This has made a huge difference. Along those same lines we have started milling our own grains, and I couldn’t be more thrilled about it! What a great feeling to know that I am providing my family with healthy, nutritious whole grain breads, muffins, cookies, and so much more!

I know some of you might be shaking your head and thinking ‘I don’t have time for that’, and to be honest I thought the same thing. When Jodi started milling their wheat I thought it was a great idea, but she’s also a stay work-at-home mom who must have more time than I do. Then I began hearing about the health benefits and knew it was something we needed to do. We bought a grain mill, found a local supplier, and haven’t looked back. Typically speaking I bake once a week for the whole week, it takes anywhere from 45 minutes to a few hours depending on what I’m making that week, and what else I have going on. It is a commitment I have made to our family to keep us on our journey to whole foods living.

Over the next weeks and months I plan to continue updating you all on our progress.  We would love to have you check-in and leave any comments or feedback you might have.  If you care to join us that would be great too...the more the merrier right?!  I will share recipes and pictures of the things we make, and let you know if they were deemed worthy of appearing on our table again.  I hope to see you around again soon!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

We're enjoying the fruits of your labor :)
Maybe soon I'll have a grain mill!